- Contestants must be registered and have numbers drawn for the order of appearance no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of the division they have entered.
- Fiddle contestants may enter their AGE division as well as the TWIN FIDDLE, TRICK & FANCY, and ARKANSAS TRAVELER divisions.
- It will not be required for a contestant entering the TWIN FIDDLE, TRICK & FANCY, or ARKANSAS TRAVELER divisions to have played in any AGE division.
- Contestants in the AGE divisions will play three (3) tunes. First the contestant must play a hoedown, then a waltz, and finally a tune of choice other than a hoedown or waltz in that order.
- Contestants in the TWIN FIDDLE division will play one fast tune and one slow tune.
- Contestants in the TRICK & FANCY division will play one tune of choice.
- Contestants in the ARKANSAS TRAVELER DIVISION will perform a faithful version of the tune “Arkansas Traveler” on the fiddle. Contestants will be judged on Improvisation and embellishment, but the melody of the tune must remain recognizable throughout the entire performance. No verbal narrative or singing will be allowed in this division. Any infraction of this rule will result in disqualification. String plucking and Hokum Bowing are permissible and encouraged in the ARKANSAS TRAVELER division but should be governed by good taste.
- For the AGE divisions there will be a time limit of five (5) minutes. For the TWIN FIDDLE, TRICK & FANCY, and ARKANSAS TRAVELER divisions there will be a time limit of four (4) minutes. Contestants exceeding the time limit will be deducted five (5) points for each 30 second increment that exceeds the time limit.
- Contestants may play without an accompanist or with no more than two (2) accompanists.
- No show tunes such as ORANGE BLOSSUM SPECIAL, LISTEN TO THE MOCKINGBIRD, BLACK MOUNTAIN RAG or any other tune determined to be a show tune by the judges will be allowed in any division except the TRICK & FANCY division.
- No CROSS TUNING will be allowed in any division except the TRICK & FANCY division. Contact microphones, pickups, or electric instruments of any kind will not be allowed.
- In the event of a tie in the total scores between contestants a playoff scenario determined by the judges will be made to break the tie.
- The contestants and their accompanists MUST be ready to appear on stage when their turn arrives or they risk being disqualified from that division.
- Individuals who are compensated or paid by the contest may not enter to compete or back up contestants.
- If a contestant or accompanist breaks a string, or if a peg slips, they will have the option of starting the tune over or have the tune judged as played. A maximum of five (5) minutes will be allowed to fix the problem.
- All decisions of the JUDGES or CONTEST COORDINATOR will be final.
NOTICE: THE TRICK & FANCY DIVISION OF THE TUCSON FIDDLE CONTEST IS A FIDDLE EVENT AND IS OPEN TO FIDDLERS ONLY.
ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING THE APPROPRIATENESS OF A TUNE OR THE RULES OF THE TUCSON FIDDLE CONTEST SHOULD BE DISCUSSED WITH THE JUDGES PRIOR TO THE START OF THE CONTEST.
SCORING WILL RANGE BETWEEN 80 AND 100 WITH 90 BEING AVERAGE. CONTESTANTS WILL BE JUDGED ON OLD TIME FIDDLING ABILITY, DANCEABILITY, TONE AND DIFFICULTY OF TUNE. POINTS WILL BE DEDUCTED IF A CONTESTANT LOSES THE TUNE OR STOPS AND STARTS OVER.